Universal Studios | 2019 | 119 min | Rated R
Directed by Sam Mendes
4K SB: $32.99
In 1917 at the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (MacKay) and Blake (Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. 1917 comes to Digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-rayTM and DVD with bonus content showcasing the incredible craft and artistry behind the immersive feature, including a detailed look into the production design, how the film engineered a one shot, 360-degree format and interviews with the cast and crew.
- DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
- DOLBY ATMOS TRACK
- The Weight of the World: Sam Mendes – Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes discusses his personal connection to World War 1.
- Allied Forces: Making 1917 – Learn how the one shot, 360-degree format was executed and the pivotal role Academy Award® winner Roger Deakins served in bringing Sam Mendes’ vision to life.
- The Music of 1917 – Composer Thomas Newman and filmmakers discuss the important role of the Academy Award®-nominated score.
- In The Trenches – Go behind the scenes with the cast of 1917.
- Recreating History – Filmmakers offer a detailed look at the production design challenges of recreating the First World War.
- Feature Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Sam Mendes
- Feature Commentary with Director of Photography Roger Deakins.
- Optional English, French Canadian, Latin American Spanish subtitles for the main feature
BEST BUY 4K STEELBOOK EXCLUSIVE
TREADSTONE: SEASON ONE
Universal Studios | 2019 | 490 min | Rated TV-MA
From a producer of the Bourne franchise, Treadstone is an action-packed thriller set amidst the CIA black ops program Operation: Treadstone. Exploring both the origin of the infamous covert program, as well as connecting to present-day special ops, Treadstone follows the action across the globe — from D.C. to Berlin to Paris and beyond. Using a mysterious behavior-modification protocol, Treadstone turns its recruits around the world into nearly-superhuman assassins, following sleeper agents as they’re mysteriously “awakened” to resume their dangerous missions.
THE CRANES ARE FLYING
Criterion | 1957 | 96 min | Not Rated
Directed by Mikhail Kalatozov
This landmark film by the virtuosic Mikhail Kalatozov was heralded as a revelation in the post-Stalin Soviet Union and the international cinema community alike. It tells the story of Veronica (Tatiana Samoilova) and Boris (Alexei Batalov), a couple who are blissfully in love until World War II tears them apart. With Boris at the front, Veronica must try to ward off spiritual numbness and defend herself from the increasingly forceful advances of her beau’s draft-dodging cousin. Winner of the Palme d’Or at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival, The Cranes Are Flying is a superbly crafted drama with impassioned performances and viscerally emotional, gravity-defying cinematography by Kalatozov’s regular collaborator Sergei Urusevsky.
- New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interview with scholar Ian Christie on why the film is a landmark of Soviet cinema
- Audio interview from 1961 with director Mikhail Kalatozov
- Hurricane Kalatozov, a documentary from 2009 on the Georgian director’s complex relationship with the Soviet government
- Segment from a 2008 program about the film’s cinematography, featuring original storyboards and an interview with actor Alexei Batalov
- Interview from 2001 with filmmaker Claude Lelouch on the film’s French premiere at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: An essay by critic Chris Fujiwara
Cover design by Century.Studio
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
Criterion | 1945 | 110 min | Not Rated
Directed by John M. Stahl
Novelist Richard Harland (Cornel Wilde) seems to have found the perfect woman in Ellen (Gene Tierney), a beautiful socialite who initiates a whirlwind romance and steers him into marriage before he can think twice. Yet the glassy surface of Ellen’s devotion soon reveals monstrous depths, as Richard comes to realize that his wife is shockingly possessive and may be capable of destroying anyone who comes between them. A singular Hollywood masterpiece that draws freely from the women’s picture and film noir alike, Leave Her to Heaven boasts elegant direction by melodrama specialist John M. Stahl, blazing Technicolor cinematography by Leon Shamroy, and a chilling performance by Tierney, whose Ellen is a femme fatale unlike any other—a woman whose love is as pure as it is poisonous.
Leave Her to Heaven was restored by Twentieth Century Fox and the Academy Film Archive, with support from The Film Foundation.
- New 2K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive, and The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interview with critic Imogen Sara Smith
- PLUS: An essay by novelist Megan Abbott
New cover illustration by Flore Maquin
HIGHLIGHT RELEASES OF THE WEEK
COME TO DADDY
Lionsgate Films | 2019 | 99 min | Rated R
Directed by Ant Timpson
Norval Greenwood (Elijah Wood), a privileged man-child, arrives at the beautiful and remote coastal cabin of his estranged father, who he hasn’t seen in 30 years. He quickly discovers that not only is Dad a disapproving jerk, but he also has a shady past that is rushing to catch up with him. Now, hundreds of miles from his cushy comfort zone, Norval must battle with demons both real and perceived in order to reconnect with a father he barely knows.
Universal Studios | 2019 | 92 min | Rated PG-13
Directed By Chinonye Chukwu
Years of carrying out death row executions have taken a toll on prison warden Bernadine Williams (Alfre Woodard). As she prepares to execute another inmate, Bernadine must confront the psychological and emotional demons her job creates, ultimately connecting her to the man she is sanctioned to kill.
- An Emotionally Charged Set
- Clemency’s Message
- The Research Process
- Working with Alfre Woodard
- Working with Aldis Hodge
- Working with Chinonye Chukwu
THE GRUDGE (2020)
Sony Pictures | 2020 | 94 min | Rated R
Directed By Nicolas Pesce
A curse born in Japan is simultaneously unleashed in the U.S. Those who encounter it are consumed by its fury and met with a violent fate. Producer Sam Raimi brings us the untold chapter of this horror classic starring Andrea Riseborough, Demián Bichir, John Cho and Betty Gilpin, with horror movie legend Lin Shaye (Insidious, Ouija) and Jacki Weaver, in the darkest, creepiest and most shocking film in the series.
- “The Cast of the Cursed” featurette: Take an inside look at the evil that lurks behind the doors at 44 Reyburn Dr., as key creatives and cast members explore The Grudge characters and discuss their experience working with Writer/Director Nicolas Pesce.
- “Designing Death” featurette: From a slightly paler version of themselves to being completely mangled and rotted, to the incredible death scenes; like Faith Matheson’s (Lin Shaye) epic leap off of the staircase, explore the character make-up design process and the film’s visual look involved in creating the myriad of ghosts caught in the grips of the Grudge!
- “Easter Egg Haunt” featurette: Join Writer/Director Nicolas Pesce as he brings to light the plethora of hidden Easter Eggs throughout the film which are homages to the previous works in the Ju-On franchise.
- Extended Scenes & Alternative Ending Experience the scenes too disturbing for theaters, like Peter Spencer’s terrifying encounter in the attic of 44 Reyburn Dr., or the uncovering of the gruesome truth behind the Landers’ family deaths.
- Optional English SDH, Spanish, and French subtitles for the main feature
THE SONG OF NAMES
Sony Pictures | 2019 | 113 min | Rated PG-13
Directed By François Girard
Tim Roth and Clive Owen star in an emotional detective story spread over two continents and a half century. Beneath the film’s stunning and pulsing musical revelations burn the horror of a war and the lost souls extinguished from history.
- Behind the Song of Names: Director François Girard and Producer Robert Lantos brought Norman Lebrecht’s acclaimed novel to life with the outstanding performances of Tim Roth and Clive Owen.
- Howard Shore: Composing & Scoring: After two years of research, composer Howard Shore conducts and records the score for THE SONG OF NAMES in Montreal.
- Howard Shore & Ray Chen: Composer Howard Shore chose virtuoso Ray Chen for the incredible violin playing heard in THE SONG OF NAMES.
TV BOX SETS
DOCTOR WHO – SYLVESTER MCCOY: SEASON THREE
BBC | 1989 | Season 26 | 350 min | Not Rated
ADDITIONAL TV BOX SETS
- Appleseed XIII: The Complete Series (2011)
- Aquarion Evol: Season Two
- Doctor Who: Sylvester McCoy: Season Three (1989)
- Maria Watches Over Us: Complete Collection
- The Silver Guardian: The Complete Series (2017-2018)
- Trickster: The Complete Series (2016-2017)
- The Unexplained: Season One
& OTHER RELEASES
- Alphabet Dogs from A-Z
- April Fool’s Day (1986) (Collector’s Edition)
- Archaeology for Kids: Digging Up The Past
- Asako I & II (2018)
- Beyond the Door (1974) (Arrow Video)
- C.S. Lewis on Stage: The Most Reluctant Convert
- Cabal (2019)
- D-Day: Battle of Omaha Beach (2019)
- Dodsworth (1936)
- Don’t Be a Dick About It (2018)
- Downtown 81 (2000)
- Endless Night (1972)
- Frankenstein: The True Story (1973)
- Genesis with Max McLean
- Godspell (1973)
- Hello Destroyer
- Highlights Watch & Learn: Happy Birthday / Make A Wish!
- Highlights Watch & Learn: Spring Fling!
- Hunter’s Moon
- International Velvet
- Jill-Michele Melean: White – Latina
- Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers: Entertainers of the Year
- Lightning Over Braddock: A Rust Bowl Fantasy (1988)
- Little Women (1994)
- Love & Temptation: 3-Film Collection
- Many Beautiful Things: The Life and Vision of Lilias Trotter
- Maria Watches Over Us: The Complete Collection (2004-2009)
- Mark’s Gospel with Max McLean
- The MRG Collective Drama: Volume 5The MRG Collective Horror: Volume 4
- The MRG Collective Horror: Volume 5
- Murder in Greenwich Village (1937)
- My Gun Is Quick (1957)
- Passeport Pour Le Monde: Chateaux De La Loire
- Passeport Pour Le Monde: Madagascar
- Passeport Pour Le Monde: Perou
- Passeport Pour Le Monde: Utah
- The Passion of Darkly Noon (1995) (Arrow Video)
- Return from the Ashes (1965)
- Rusty Boys
- Science Kids: Sloths & Their Wacky World
- Shooting the Mafia (2019)
- Suburban Birds (2018)
- Superchamp Returns
- The Telemachy
- Tortured for Christ
- Unsupersize Us
- What’s My Name? Muhammad Ali
- The Witness
- The Wizard (1989) (Collector’s Edition)
- Yellow Scare (2017)
- Zona Sur